Like all towns in Australia, Peterborough has been affected by the call of people to fight in the various wars. We have many monuments that have been erected to acknowledge that fact.
Soldiers Memorial Oval which is at the eastern end of the Main Street was dedicated in 1951 after tennis courts, cycling/trotting track, new grandstand plus the entrance was donated by the Returned Soldiers League.
The Soldiers Memorial Hospital which at the southern end of Hurlstone Street was opened in 1922 and dedicated to the fallen soldiers of the First World War. The stone monuments either side of the Bandstand in the Main Street were unveiled in 1936 whilst the area either side of them was called Soldiers Memorial Gardens after the First World War. The black and grey monument on the western side of the bandstand was unveiled in 2003 and was dedicated to people who served in the forces from the Second World War onwards.
The Bofor gun alongside the bandstand was given to the town by the RSL about a decade ago after they purchased it from the Army.
There are also several Honour Boards in the Memorial Foyer of the Town Hall which acknowledge the Men & Women from Peterborough and surrounding area who have served in the armed forces.